Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

View Poll Results: Should everyone invest in hiring a coach after getting signed off solo?
Every one should do this to progress from being safe, do being safe and drive well. 9 40.91%
Every one should do this before their first mods besides tires, pads and brake fluid. 5 22.73%
It is better to first get 2-3 track events running solor before hiring a coach. 8 36.36%
No need to spend $500 - 1000. I'm great & I need 22" & a superCharger w/ methanol injection. 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Coaching...?

I think coaching is paramount. I'm just getting started with data analysis, with Dell's help here too of course. There are a couple of courses offered locally for data interpretation, at VIR and such, which I plan to attend at some point.

Right now, its just being able to overlay 1 data set (mine) with another (Dell's) and review the deltas; very basic stuff; get on the brakes sooner, later, harder, softer; get on the throttle sooner, later, harder, softer, etc.

Right after safety, coaching IMO is the best value.
Sure, most of us like to indulge in some simple customization or tinkering of our GT cars, which is fine, but I would resist burning money on gear just to go faster.

More often than not, you're just muddying up the waters when trying to understand what's happening with the car.

Even in my C4S, Dell did some incredible driving, and it really opened my eyes to the equation, talent/experience > go fast bits/gear.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

fatih,
excellent.
do keep in mind however, i do know how to turn on my TV. but i cannot get it to work with my DVR or record or play. i have to call my wife to set it up. so when she's on call in the hospital, we leave the TV on all day so when i get home, i will not page her while she's in the OR.

i am eating rice cold right now. b/c i can't figure out my microwave and i dont want to turn the range on fearing i burn down the whole city. wife on call. i think she wont be happy if i have to beep her out the OR again.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

No wonder you order your cars as strippers, you cannot figure out how to turn on the A/C probably
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Vice Advocate

I highly recommend coaching for everyone on a periodic basis. Those using data aquisition systems (we use Racepak G2X & SIS cameras) can really illuminate both on a verbal and also on a quantitative basis what can be improved.

For the drivers who just become solo, it is important to continue your training, as I have seen many in my 28 years who just pound around the track, re-inforcing bad habits until they are so ingrained that correcting them is quite difficult. Even for you seasoned, highly competent drivers, it is important to have someone suggest new ideas and push you out of your comfort zone so that you can continue to improve.

Coaching with data also can help answer some of those questions like "is 2nd gear or 3rd gear faster in this corner" as well. Coaching exists in every sport, but I am always surprised at how some in this sport are so resistant to it.
2006 Cayenne S
National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered PCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
I have Traqmate and hate it.
Peter, I'm curious as to why you continue to bash Traqmate. As you know, I've got it installed in Gisele. It's certainly got lots of short comings, but... I invested a lot of time and money and I'm learning to live with it. And, I have to say, all my reliability problems have been pilot error. These things aren't intuitive!

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you'd rather discuss it that way.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered PCA Member

One other thing I want to chime in on here... I wholly agree with the technique of having a "coach" drive your car and use the data logger to capture that session in order to compare a pure apples to apples comparision (same car, tires, track, conditions, etc.) of you vs: them. This is a great tool available to you when you've got these fancy systems!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Peter, I'm curious as to why you continue to bash Traqmate. As you know, I've got it installed in Gisele. It's certainly got lots of short comings, but... I invested a lot of time and money and I'm learning to live with it. And, I have to say, all my reliability problems have been pilot error. These things aren't intuitive!

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you'd rather discuss it that way.
No problem, let's discuss it here as a fair warning for others.
It seems that it is something all the time.
Last weekend my data only recorded for exactly 10 mins and 13 secs, each session?
Why? Nobody can tell you. I will find out tomorrow what is on my memory card this time.
I have not downloaded my data from last weekend, but I am already worried what I will find this time.

In general:
- Software is very counter intuative.
- Some stuff does not work. Example you include a video, hit OK, video disapears. You repeat it works. You just have to know the glitch and work around it.
- Their support forum sucks.
- Their manual sucks.

Counter intuative software with bad manuals and bad support forum = frustration.

Last year I bought HD camera and HD module. It would not work. I call and they explain to me that HD will work with software released next month. Tell me before you sell me the hardware please.

If you turn the car off without "ending" the session you have no data.

Too much money and time invested to buy something else now because they are all improving so rapidly. Except trackqmate. version 1.00 of the software is now more then a year old.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Peter, IMO, what good is it if you can't count on it? Rip it all out, sell it, and start over. The longer you wait, the less it will be worth. My experience with AiM has been a little finicky, but their support (Jordan in CA ) is top shelf.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

I'm getting there...

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered PCA Member

Peter, thanks for sharing your experience with Traqmate. I'm certainly no fan boy! But, I've not had any of the problems you describe. Mine is only 5 months old, so I'll keep my eyes open. TC Design (who helped me with the installation) did tell me that they stopped supporting/selling TM due to permanent data loss, which sounds similar to what you describe.

My frustration is mainly with getting video overlayed with the dashboard. I've been meaning to post up a video with the dash overlay - since you had said that no TM installation is "real" until the user can post such a video - however, my sessions are too long for YouTubes 15 min max. Worse, I can't open the TM video to edit it with any of the s/w tools I have. Now that sucks! Anyone have success editing the TM video files?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

The only way I figured out how to do it:
Write video: make sure you save it as an .AVI
When done open it in Windows movie maker.
You can edit it pretty easy even add text, cut it in pieces etc.

When you save in movie maker it takes forever, a 15 minute film will take hours to save.
Don't know why. Then upload in windows movie maker file.

So if you overlay only say 4 laps at the time you save a lot of time by merging them seperately instead of merging a session and then cut it in pieces, but if you do, you can add text. Like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf0BJ3D9tQ

You can see why I wanted a normal HD camera instead of the crappy Chasecam they sold me first ;-)

My house is without internet, so I will likely be offline till tomorrow.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH || NC View Post
Peter, IMO, what good is it if you can't count on it? Rip it all out, sell it, and start over. The longer you wait, the less it will be worth. My experience with AiM has been a little finicky, but their support (Jordan in CA ) is top shelf.
i have two chase cam and traqmate.
after 1 month, i decided i would be happier if i take them out, lay them on the driveway and drive off them.... i heard CRUNCH.... i was very happy. whoa....

i then had AiM pista. wonderful looking dash. i do not understand how to use it. since it was $$$, i can't just CRUNCH IT. so i gave it away to my BSR buyer.

lar, i would get another traqmate, if you download my data, expalin to me what i need to do to go faster and edit my video with your cool music ;-)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Vice Advocate

John, we sell and use Racepak (G2X and IQ3) for our data coaching. It is far superior in terms of power and data manipulation as compared to a Traqmate. If you are interested in learning more about them, PM me with your number and we'll talk.
2006 Cayenne S
National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
2004 GT3 Track Car
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Larry, do you know if RacePak finally released the ODB II adapter? Every time I call them, they say "this month."
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Vice Advocate

I was told "this month".

As soon as I can get a few shipped, I'll let you know.
2006 Cayenne S
National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
2004 GT3 Track Car
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car