Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Opinion: Porsche in LMS LMP1

By now probably all have heard that Porsche is going into LMP1 racing in 2014 for the overall win. Interesting news to say the least.

Porsche does not spend money in racing unless they have high chance of success and it will positively impact sales. And general consensus is that Porsche won't directly compete with sister companies; such as Audi, Bentley, etc. Additionally, I doubt Porsche will spend equal effort and money in developing two separate platforms for racing; e.g. LMP1 and GT. Additionally, 2014 should be the year the 991 GT3 should be released, or 2015. And it may be safe bet that Porsche's LMP1 entry won't be winning outright, and its development will probably continue for an additional 3 years if not more.

So, where does this leave the GT3 and Cup development? Granted the original GT1 launched the GT3 line and utilized its technology in the production car, but today the level of competitiveness in LMP1 and associated TV coverage, especially in Europe, I am not certain how transferable the technology will be in the short term.

Click the image to open in full size.

In Europe I don't doubt that LMP1 class has impact on sales, similar to WRC and F1; however, North America does not work that way, those series don't have such direct impact on sales IMHO. And what about Asia and Middle East? I do not know what drives sales in China, which is still the largest growth market for Porsche and other manufacturers, but what drives sales in China where Cayenne and Panamera are the biggest sales leaders in Porsche's line up, and 911 or GT sales are significantly lacking. Not that it is that different in the US for that matter. Was the quick, unapologetic shipping of the 918 to Abu Dabi an indication of that market's interest points and Porsche's willingness to maximize that market? Meaning LMP1 success will help with sales of which market the most? Not US in my opinion.

The sports car racing I believe is much more important that prototype racing in the US. So, will the GT3 Cup continue to be developed and be competitive in ALMS may be in the hands of Porsche Motorsports customers? ALMS seems to be more tolerant than other series, and actually supportive, of alternative fuel and hybrid technologies, so it may be a good series for Porsche to continue to develop such technologies more directly applicable for the street. But will Porsche be able to run two development programs, financially that is? Or will the 918 platform become the main GT competitor, may be the next version of the Cayman platform as it was hinted ever so subtly by Mr. Muller recently?

On the other hand, the GT3 Cup and Super Cup programs have been hugely successful around the world, and profitable for Porsche, and I doubt that will end; actually I hope it extends further to a level that club racers can more easily and cost-effectively jump into it in the US.

A lot of questions with few answers, so I thought I share my thoughts with you, hoping you'd share yours as well
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Opinion: Porsche in LMS LMP1

Hard to predict what the outcome/outcomes will be but one thing is for sure: This is very exciting!