Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Alignment

When I first got the car last year, I got a basic alignment done as a starting point with -2.1 camber with 0 toe in the front, and -2.2 camber with factory toe in the rear.

I did total of 4 events early in the season in 2011 and nothing the second half, so a little less than 2K track miles. In the mean time I put 20K mi. on the car between December 2010 through March 2012.

I use R888s for the track and Proxes 1s for the street. The rear R888s were done after the first 3 events with higher wear on the insides, so I got new ones for the 4th event last year. The fronts lasted one more event through the 4th one, and since I did not get the chance to participate in another event, I left them alone until this year, but the wear was very even across the thread with no signs of abuse, just wear.

My street tires last me long miles, but as I checked them at the beginning of this year, the insides of the rears were corded and there was no thread left on the inner half of the tires. The fronts look near new still. So, I got new rear Proxes 1s for this year, left the fronts as is.

Getting ready for the track this season this year, I got new front R888s since the rears were looking pretty good still from last year, and I had the alignment adjusted : front same as before, no need to touch what seems to be working, and reduced camber on the rears to -1.8 with factory toe-in.

Inspecting the tires after the first VIR event last month, the results are: the outer half of the rears show more wear now, and fronts are again wearing evenly, but there is significant wear on the inner shoulder of both fronts, I am afraid getting close to cording these front tires. I suspect this inner shoulder impact is happening under braking, not cornering. The car's handling was nearly neutral, depending on the tire pressures, with a touch of oversteer during corner exists, but very good front bite during entry and mid-corner.

So, my next step before another event is to reduce the front camber to may be -1.9-2.0 and increase rear camber to -2.0. Any other suggestions, comments, what are your experiences?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Alignment

Fatih, I had the same problem when I ran 888's, and my tech reduced both camber and toe. You can't compare them to Hoosier's which require more camber. My car is of course different than yours so my numbers won't be relevent. I switched to Nitto NT-01's, which use similar numbers, but are quieter and last just as long. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Faith

You really need to get hot tire temps for more info. I run -2.6 & 0 toe on the front and -2.2 & stock toe on the rear of my 6GT3 with AD08's which have a very STIFF sidewall. Fronts wear evenly and rears wear a little more on the inside so could probably use a little less rear camber. This is with stock suspension.

Peter
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Yes I was not expecting the results I have frankly, having camber over -2 front/rear I thought would be good; however, tires don't agree It is also possible that these tires are not the best of the bunch.

Thank you all for your inputs.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Can we expect you on track anytime soon to test your alignment?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

LOLOL, I keep dreaming, but there is a possibility for me join the FSR guys.