Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Trackrat's GT3RS Project

Ok, the "Grand Announcement" is at hand. Been busy on the off-season diving head first down the slippery slope.

Recipe:
2010 GT3RS, 10,000 miles, 50% Track/50% Street

GTGears LSD Internals

Akrapovic Evolution System converted from full (w/side mufflers) to Race configuration (via two side pipes).

Intrax 4-way coilovers. Application specific tuning by Intrax

Tarett Engineering solid bits- monoballs/spherical ends/toe-locking plates/etc

Custom designed/engineered threaded and thread-locked/sealed coolant fittings.

Racetech Magnum 6-point HANS specific drivers harness.

New spark plugs- so much easier with engine out although the ones in there looked perfect.

Separate engine/trans and examined clutch. Looking good!

Full OE Clubsport cage with welded plates top and bottom.

Stripped Interior.

RennLine floor mats

Sullivan Racing Pedals

996 Cup Shifter Cable and solid cable ends.

MovIt custom brake kit: Oversized Carbon Silicon Carbide rotors, billet high strength calipers and braided steel lines are in progress and hope to be shipped/installed in 2-3 months.

Works Bell quick release (GT3 specific, bolts right up) steering wheel with "Personal" (it is a brand) steering wheel.

Some pics below with more to come. All work was done in my shop with the assistance of Jess Lattin, a Master Technician with eight years of Porsche experience. He is a super-sharp cookie and excellent on the details.

Brief road test of approx 2 miles revealed no issues and a well controlled and compliant ride. Track testing this weekend.

I suppose I am 8/10th's or 9/10th's driver that wanted to play with the limits of building a street legal track oriented car. For me going full Cup car was not attractive due to engine/tranny rebuilds, not street legal, and more of an involved process to run it aside from just turning the key and driving off.

Link to photo album with more pics: http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/album.php?albumid=13
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0765.jpg   IMG_0785.jpg   IMG_0812.jpg   IMG_0809.jpg   IMG_0890.jpg  

Last edited by Trackrat; 05-02-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage
Default Re: Trackrat's GT3RS Project

When people yell restraint at you they don't always mean seat belts LOL.

Awesome Savy!

Sold '07GT3 white

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-01-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

I am so jealous of your phenomenal projects Pete. I also have so many questions on the Intrax choice and the brakes of course. Can you capture the sound of the Akrapovic exhaust by any chance?

I hope videos are coming soon too, right?

So, now that I could digest some of this... just amazing...

I hadn't heard of "movIt," how did you come up with that one?

4-way shocks is going to be a handful. I think generally they are more than impressive and give truly the fine tuning capability, especially from track to track. Any particular reason you chose Intrax? Also, did you get their camber plates or their solid top mounts?

You, of course, have to give us more details on "Custom designed/engineered threaded and thread-locked/sealed coolant fittings."

Just woww, I know you were doing some projects, but this is some undertaking

Last edited by FTS; 03-31-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

very nice.
can't wait to see it in person soon
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
When people yell retraint at you they don't always mean seat belts LOL.

Awesome Savy!
Peter- Sadly, this is true Thankfully both Spyder and now GT3RS have reached the limits of what I wanted to tweak and I can relax and drive for the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I am so jealous of your phenomenal projects Pete. I also have so many questions on the Intrax choice and the brakes of course. Can you capture the sound of the Akrapovic exhaust by any chance?

I hope videos are coming soon too, right?

So, now that I could digest some of this... just amazing...

I hadn't heard of "movIt," how did you come up with that one?

4-way shocks is going to be a handful. I think generally they are more than impressive and give truly the fine tuning capability, especially from track to track. Any particular reason you chose Intrax? Also, did you get their camber plates or their solid top mounts?

You, of course, have to give us more details on "Custom designed/engineered threaded and thread-locked/sealed coolant fittings."

Just woww, I know you were doing some projects, but this is some undertaking
Fatih- Sure I will post more pics and some video clips as the projects wraps-up. The sound is of course phenomenal. Going to try and put the DB meter on it Saturday but I am guessing 106-108 db at WOT at 100'. It is pretty authoritative.

Intrax- I went through months of decision making process to settle on a suspension replacement. Intrax has a LOT of shock building experience, and their philosophy, which I share, is soft springing and control the motion via dampening. The company owner races GT3's. They come with some lovely beefy camber plates but they are not accessible from above for adjustment (unless we installed them wrong ) due to RS shock tower design.

MovIt is the only other source of ceramic rotors aside from Brembo and they are much more durable than OE ceramics. In fact they are marketed to last from one car to another! Their calipers take twice the brake pressure before deformation (beveled pads) vs.the OE calipers. I was pissed off from worn out ceramic rotors and beveled pads and wanted a superior solution. We shall see if this is it.

Me, Jess, Adam (CarreraGT), a skilled local welder and a skilled machine shop put heads together to come up with the coolant fitting fix. It took weeks of back and forth and multiple iterations of fitting design to reach where I am now and there is still some room to perfect the solution. Aside from the mechanical connection, I researched and located (available one place in the US) an industrial threadlocker/sealer good up to 700 degrees F before degradation. And the stuff get harder with exposure to Ethylene Glycol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
very nice.
can't wait to see it in person soon
Thanks John- hopefully in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0797.jpg   IMG_0799.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

I love how the brakes look, I sure hope they perform to expectations, they look like they will

I assume the camber plates pushed the ride height up a little, and you probably had to adjusted back down accordingly. As long as you can achieve the camber you need through the control arms, that should not be an issue.

The way the threaded sleeves look for the coolant lines is just amazing, first-rate craftsmanship. I wonder if you will be able to market those; I am first in line, if you do
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Pete; Can't wait to hear your findings! Going to be a big draw to site!

John; You really can't sneak out of the Kingdom for a couple of sessions Sebring? Your car will be all setup for it :-). Just drig them all they'll never know
I maybe I can make it the 10th. I'm flying in late the 9th. so I can throw some unshaved toyo's on and beeline it to Sebring..

Fatih, I am going to be travelling for fun and work like crazy untill last week in April so meager contributions till then, but I will do my best.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Vice Advocate

Just had a phenomenal day at Reno Fernley Raceway, C Config (includes "The Peanut"!) testing all the project mods. RaceTech halo seat didn't make it into the car. I just could not get a fit I was happy with and popped the OE seats back in. Can't believe the transformation to the car The Intrax coilovers were superb out of the box. Response and driving dynamics were razor sharp.

The OE suspension is great but this is on another planet. Due to the bumpy track I softened the rear shocks compression and rebound a bit but otherwise it was great. Front sway was on middle hole, rear blade was 2 back from full stiff.

Very neutral everywhere: fast, slow, bumpy, smooth. Throttle steer was very responsive.

Of course the Akrapovic Race exhaust config was intoxicating especially at 8400 rpm.

Video later, here are some pics.

This was a SCCA TT and PDX day. High-Desert tracking at its finest, look at that elevation change of the track! Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4352.jpg   NM1U3108.jpg   NM1U3124.jpg   NM1U3465.jpg   NM1U3742.jpg  

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Vice Advocate

More pics. Man, what a great day!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4438.jpg   IMG_4472.jpg   IMG_4984.jpg   NM1U3060.jpg   NM1U3506.jpg  

Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

The car (and driver of course) look awesome!!! On the second picture in the second set of pictures, were you countersteering because you over trail-braked or something? Great shot, just could not make the angle of the steering

So, how did you do on the time sheets, I saw you had a transponder on the rear of the car?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Pete; Awesome

The car looks so sneakily OEM, very stealthy

You're not even mentioning the brakes, are the a non issue now?
What pads do you use, Movit? What material and shape?

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
The car (and driver of course) look awesome!!! On the second picture in the second set of pictures, were you countersteering because you over trail-braked or something? Great shot, just could not make the angle of the steering

So, how did you do on the time sheets, I saw you had a transponder on the rear of the car?
No counter steering in that photo, I need to upload to the gallery as the forum is compressing the image too much and distorting them.

I ran 3rd behind a local national shifter kart champion driving a GT-R who is a very good driver (all-wheel drive turbo at 5500' altitude=GT3 killer) and am Ultima Can-Am on slicks. So with a new suspension with three-clicks change on rear shocks I cannot complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Pete; Awesome

The car looks so sneakily OEM, very stealthy

You're not even mentioning the brakes, are the a non issue now?
What pads do you use, Movit? What material and shape?
The kit for the GT3RS has not yet arrived That comment may have not been emphasized enough in my initial post. A full kit on the Spyder, and MovIt rotors only installed on the GT2RS as a stop-gap measure. Moved GT2RS brakes over to the 3RS until the kit arrives.

Also I battled mightily to get the RaceTech halo seat installed but it just was not meant to happen After $$ building various brackets I can't make it fit the way I want it to and it is going up for sale. Argh.

Ok, here is some video Rear cam is out of focus as we installed a new lens and did not have time to focus it (fixed now though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVy8OT9RWIk

Here is the Ultima just after he ran his best lap...chasing me down Watch front cam and then the blurry rear cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCxLV6_xEM

Last edited by Trackrat; 04-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Man, the cars sounds so cool.. Racey!
So, the Movid rotors are direct replacement for OEM PCCB??

Thanks for posting

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Vice Advocate

MovIt makes direct PCCB rotor replacement$ which are different from what they will supply in kit. No track on the new rotors yet but I will of course post a new topic when that happens to report.

You are welcome !

PS- the new Personal (brand) alcantara steering wheel, slightly smaller diameter than stock was great. I am so happy with how the car performed.
PSS- we are getting ready to tackle a .1 GT3 coolant fitting fix in my shop this week. Will also post a separate thread on that.

Last edited by Trackrat; 04-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Pete what kind of cameras are you using? They don't seem to adjust to ambient light fast enough and hard to see clearly. I love the top video though, nice driving.