Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Nothing Goes As Planned

Well, finaly preperations for VIR are underway, but nothing goes as planned of course

I had ordered Carbotech XP10 pads, or at least I thought I did, but only the fronts showed up today. And because I had to finish all brake jobs today as I have not time at all over the weekend or next week, I had to come up with another solution.

Last weekend, during instructor referesher I was lucky and first time in my life I won something, A $150 gift certificate from OG Racing . So, I gave them a call to see what they had available, they were fresh out of RS29s, so I settled with RS19s. I drover 40 miles to get them and back of course.

Then I finally heard from my tire supplier, Radial Tire, they could not get the Trofeos, none in the country in the sizes for the 3. So, I settled for the R888s, which I'll be picking them up on OZ wheels tomorrow . I actually really liked those tires on the Cayman, but they are noisy and not the best in rain.

Anyway, I could not get to my desired setup, but I certainly am ready for VIR!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: Nothing Goes As Planned

that's how it always goes.
have fun at VIR
post pix of wheel on car.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Yes, thankfully contingency planning is a good practice

I should be picking up the wheels/tires on Monday and mount them on, have to scrub them a little before VIR and bed in the brakes. I am really looking forward to VIR as I need a break from daily stress lately. And will be at Summit Point the following weekend for another 3 days,

Btw, when I took off the rear pads, they were pretty much down to the backing plate, the fronts were at about 45-50%. I guess that is mainly due to PSM/TC. I just need to be smoother with the car this time around.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

What sizes FTS? 235/35/19 305/30/19?

I drove a new set of 888's for the first time in over a year at VIR last month. I gained 10-12lbs depending on the track temp. Overall they were fine and good enough while I was learning the car. But when my pace improved I found them losing grip at the end of the sessions. I lowered the hot pressures several times. For me, they seemed to go away above 35lbs. But most people I've talked to like them in the 38lb range.

Oh...they took more time than expected to scrub. If you're driving them to VIR you might have better luck.

Looking forward to this weekend!

Bringing some Hoosier just in case the 888's can't keep up with the car
Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Brian, yes same sizes for me too. On the Cayman, I got best results with the R888s around 34 psi. I think your 10-12 psi gain was due to them being new, I expect similar gains first one or two days, but third day it shouldn't be more than 6-7 psi. I'll be slow first few days, no worries.

I am looking forward to seeing you run on Hohos, that's going to be something to watch

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

OK, now I got the wheels/tires on, they look really nice btw, but the top of rear tires are nearly flush to the fender. The R888s are much more square than MPSCs and Proxes 1s, so I am afraid they are going to run and damage the fender

Contingency Plan #4: going in for alignment tomorrow.

Oh and about TPMS: it is not interfering with anything, but the darn light on the dash stays on constantly, I will ask the dealer to disable it tomorrow.

I am lucky though, Porsche of Tyson's and Alex, the service manager, do go out of their way to accommodate my last minute requests
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

I got the alignment done. The previous alignment was all over the place in the rear, no wonder VIR T3 was difficult to do.

Now the rear tires are tucked in more with -2.5 camber, but the ride height increased slightly, somehow these tires' sidewalls are marginally taller, don't know why.

Also, dealer, "after checking with corporate" gracefully declined to disable the TPMS due to legal liability issues So, we'll see what happens with that at the track.

I cannot wait, hitting the road tomorrow, and 4 days of tracking, talking cars and night parties
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Look forward to the pics with wheels!

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered PCA Member

Fatih--If you still want to disable your TPMS warning light (if it is possible at all), Ivan at IMA Motorsport in Chantilly can do that for you. He disabled my seat belt warning light for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post

Also, dealer, "after checking with corporate" gracefully declined to disable the TPMS due to legal liability issues So, we'll see what happens with that at the track.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Al, thank you for joining our web portal and welcome!

I thought about Ivan too, he is pretty good with that sort of thing, thank you for the tip. But since my street wheels have them, I'll just keep them for now and put up with the lights

Any word on the FSR registration Al?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered PCA Member

No word on FSR yet. Still showing waitlist status. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Al, thank you for joining our web portal and welcome!

I thought about Ivan too, he is pretty good with that sort of thing, thank you for the tip. But since my street wheels have them, I'll just keep them for now and put up with the lights

Any word on the FSR registration Al?