Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: You Are a Track Nut, if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
#3&4 for me!

For Christmas I asked for a Safety Solutions R3, R888's, brake pads and new numbers.
Aim higher and ask Santa for GT2 seats
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmarx View Post
...You have done 2000+ laps round the Nürburg Ring, and you can't wait to go back for more. (July! )
Good first teaser post Please do tell more.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

If you buy trires in Bulk......Costco style
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0240.jpg   Tire Delivery.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzone View Post
If you buy trires in Bulk......Costco style
U got a lot of shaving to do
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
...You have done 2000+ laps round the Nürburg Ring, and you can't wait to go back for more. (July! )

You can't post that as a first post without spilling the beans!

Beans or Ban!!

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post

You can't post that as a first post without spilling the beans!

Beans or Ban!!

Howdy, great to have a dedicated GT car forum!

I'm not sure how best to explain the Nürburg Ring to track nuts who haven't been there - yet. Maybe like this, if regular track driving is as addictive as Caffeine, then the Ring is like crack cocaine. It's terrible!

Back in 2000 I got transferred to London where I heard about the still somewhat obscure Nürburg Ring. I had just bought a 355 Spyder and decided on a road trip to the Ring with a friend. That quickly became an annual trip for a group of us. After the second year, a buddy and I decided that we needed a Ring Spielzeug, a Ring Toy - aka a dedicated car parked at the Ring. That way we could hop on a quick flight from London to Cologne and go drive anytime. We got ourselves a 968 Cub Sport and managed to find one of the few that came with a full M030 track package from the Porsche factory. It came with a roll bar, racing seats, 6-point harnesses, fully adjustable suspension, upgraded brakes, front strut brace, light weight flywheel clutch, etc. Compared to today's cars it feels slightly under powered, but the balance is superb.

It a long story, but I wound up flying to the Ring about 10 times that year, and even more the next year. Meanwhile I also qualified for an International C racing license in order to participate in the 24 Hr race at the Nürburg Ring. After that I became part owner/driver of a semi-pro race team participating in the VLN endurance series at the Ring. And so on... Totally sucked in.

After a couple years I also got a new 2nd generation GT3. It was a Club Sport (not sold in the US at the time) with full roll cage, racing seats, harnesses and so on. Most of the time I also had that parked at the Ring, so 2 cars now. In other words a proper certified Ring nut!

One of my friends and co-drivers is a professional test driver at the Ring, who has probably done 30,000+ laps around the Ring. He taught me quite a lot. As a testament to how addictive the Ring is, this guy would spend a week at work test driving at the Ring, and still show up in the evening and drive for fun!

I think the addiction comes from the fact that the Ring is arguably the worlds most difficult track with something like 78 proper turns (and about 177 turns and kinks), leaving you forever in search of that perfect lap. At the same time it's probably also the most dangerous track with many blind turns, surface changes, and even weather changes from one end of the track to the other. Most of the track has virtually no run-off, so if you go off the track, chances are you are bending some metal. it's a combination that leaves you always wanting another lap.

I've done a smattering of other racing mostly in the UK in Formula Fords and Minis.

Now I live in Santa Barbara, recently bought a 2004 GT3 and am constantly trying to fit in tack days or fun road trips. I've been to Streets of Willow three times and Laguna Seca once. My favorite road nearby is the Mariposa Highway (Rt 33) out of Ojai.

Anyway, I'm organizing a trip in July to drive two private track days at the Ring followed by a track day at Spa. . If anyone is interested, I'm happy to forward the information on where to book the various things. The more the merrier!

That's about it,
-Christian
Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Superb story Christian, welcome to the community.

Recently CWS posted couple of videos that may be enjoyable to you, I can only imagine being there:

http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=149

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
I decided that we needed a Ring Spielzeug, a Ring Toy - aka a dedicated car parked at the Ring. That way we could hop on a quick flight from London to Cologne and go drive anytime.
You are clearly a very highly intelligent man

Christian, thank you for posting that. Would love to meet up at the Ring sometimes!
I also have a half baked plan to ship my car to the expensive coast for a few months to go drive Laguna and the other tracks.

I ordered my car Euro delivery, but the build date was 02-23-10 (My 15th wedding anniversary) still 2ft of snow at the Ring, so I figured I would ship it back after the winter with all mods done. Then I got busy driving all the South East tracks (10K miles today) and when I was fully ready to send my car over this May, I was unable to get insurance for my car :-(

Instead I've only done 6, 6!! laps in a rentracecar.de BMW 120I last year July and I vowed to go back ASAP. I was scared to death following a guy in a 120I that hired a coach to follow ;-)

Addictive? Like Crack, only worse and much more expensive.
I was ready to cancel the entire rest of our trip in Europe and hang at the Ring, probably the closest I've ever been to divource

It won't be the same as in my own car, but I will try to rent a slow racecar again. Maybe rental Avis 911. Faster cars, never mind GT3's are out of my budget.

I might make it in July, but unsure now.

My very understanding wife is originally from Munchen and we have a place there with a garage, so as soon as I can find a way to get my car over for a few months with insurance I will be there :-). If impossible, fly, drive and drink I guess as we will every year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00085-20100706-1106.jpg   IMG00089-20100706-1635.jpg  

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Christian, did you ever live in Atlanta? Do you have a yellow gt3?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

This turned out to be fun thread, some of the entries are hilarious, but I think Trakcar has topped us all, he is the winner in my opinion:

Mancation II Drive North, or ship car to CA?

I have no words left, I don't know who can top this one.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

Lets see:

Spring Mountain Countryclub track membership.
bought 20 Michelin slicks scrubs last year all at once.
sold my 6 GT3 and RUF RGT for my cup car, then bought the 6 GT3 back.
study track layouts and apex points rather than read newspapers.
heel and toe everyday to keep in practice.

Pranqster
Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenk12m View Post
Christian, did you ever live in Atlanta? Do you have a yellow gt3?
Never even been to Atlanta!

I've lived in Copenhagen, New York, Boston, London, Cape Town, and currently Santa Barbara, but never Atlanta. I hear it nice, though!

I currently have a black GT3, and I had an arctic silver one in Germany when I was living in London.

-Christian
1998 Ferrari 355 Spyder Red, 2000 - 2004, Sold
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

I just know a christian that travels back n forth the way you do. Sorry about that
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered PCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
you avoid replacing the 6-year old street tires on your other cars to save money for race tires that only last half a season.
You're able to get race tires to last half a season?!?!! I'm lucky if I can get a 3 day weekend out of a set of Hoosiers!

But, I'm with you on showing no love to the daily driver. She doesn't get the attention she used to, that's for SURE!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

You guys are too demanding, Hohos and all... I am the slow guy on R888s doing only few track days a season, don't even have a trailer