Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default 991 gt3

Porsche AG Press Release:

The sportiest 911 will have its world premiere at the Geneva International Motor Show: the new Porsche 911 GT3. In the 50th anniversary year of the 911, Porsche is now set to open a new chapter in race track performance sports cars. The fifth generation of the 911 GT3, a complete new development, will take the pole position among the thoroughbred Porsche sports cars with naturally aspirated engines. Boxer engine and transmission, as well as body and chassis are completely new and constitute a further development of the 911 GT3 concept with an impressive performance leap. Power: 475 hp. Power to weight ratio: 3.0 kg/hp. Acceleration from zero to 100 km/h: in 3.5 seconds. Top speed: 315 km/h. Lap time Nürburgring Nordschleife: under 7:30 minutes. As a technical highlight, it features the first active rear wheel steering in a production Porsche. As well as the optional full LED headlights. The new 911 GT3 keeps all the successful properties of a sports car suitable for racing, with even more driving dynamics, more sophisticated practicality - and a highly emotional fun factor.

Click the image to open in full size.

The powertrain of the new 911 GT3 is composed of a 3.8-liter boxer engine yielding 475 hp (350 kW) at 8.250 rpm, a Porsche dual-clutch transmission (PDK) and a high-traction rear-wheel drive. The six-cylinder engine is based on the same engine as the 911 Carrera S, although they share only few common parts. All other components, particularly the crankshaft and valve gear, were specially adapted or designed for the GT3. For instance, Porsche designed titanium connecting rods and forged pistons. The basic modifications set the stage for an extremely high-speed engine that reaches up to 9000 rpm. The Porsche dual-clutch transmission was also specially developed; the characteristics are directly based on a sequential gearbox from motor racing, thereby providing further performance and dynamics advantages to the driver.

For the first time, Porsche is using active rear wheel steering in order to achieve even higher precision and lateral dynamics. Depending on the speed, it steers in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels, improving stability and agility. Other new modules improving driving dynamics are the electronically controlled, fully variable rear differential lock, and the dynamic engine mounts. The newly developed all-aluminium chassis can still be adjusted by height, toe and camber. Contact with the road is made by the new 20-inch forged alloy wheels with central locking.

The 911 GT3 is based on the light, yet stuff body of the current generation
911 Carrera in hybrid steel-aluminium construction, however, it comes with independent front and rear parts. In addition, the 911 GT3 is 44 millimetres wider than a 911 Carrera S in the area of the rear axle. Another clear recognition feature is again the large, fixed rear wing. This makes a decisive contribution to the exemplary aerodynamics of the new 911 GT3, which combines low air resistance with even more power.

As a result, the new 911 GT3 sets new performance records. At full acceleration from standstill, the 100 km/h mark is breached after 3.5 seconds, and 200 km/h are reached in less than twelve seconds. The top speed is 315 km/h in the seventh, top gear of the completely newly adapted PDK transmission. The lap time on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which the new 911 GT3 manages in under 7:30 minutes, is even more impressive.

Press Release File can be downloaded here: http://gt2gt3cup.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=1

Last edited by FTS; 03-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage
Default The US Launch

The launch event during the NYIAS was well organized for the PCA members in cooperation between Porsche AG, NA and PCA, over 100 members enjoyed the personal attention and the chance to get up close and personal with the new car.

The posture and stance of the 991 GT3 best experienced in person as it is the case almost always. The way it looks to hug the ground is very well balance with increased width both front and rear, and the longer length and wheel base. But there is more to its posture than just the increased dimensions of the car; I am not certain, but I would believe if the ratios of the door height to side window height has been changed in a fashion that the cockpit of the car looks lower overall. This combined with what appears to be a decrease windshield angle and increase wheel arche arcs, just make this car work for me even in stand still. Of course, I do not know if any of those ratios or angle have actually been changed, but it appears that way.

The wheels's finish and design really captured my attention:

More to come....
Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: 991 gt3

And NO "Sport Bucket Seats" available in North America!
Why?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Unfortunately not, the display car was brought from Geneva and has the Euro seats. I asked that question and what we already heard about testing procedures changing has disqualified the current 997 bucket seats, so they are redesigning the seats to be legal in the US and they understand and fully acknowledge that the US customer, particularly, very demanding about the sport buckets
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

These are the current Euro seats which look and feel exactly the same as the 997s that we have in most of our cars:

Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

The interior looks and feels more ergonomical with the buttons carefully placed, but the lower center console is busy. Also, I am not sure why, but the combination of alcantera with CF and carpets seems to have been better executed, particularly the red stitching was superb:

I particularly like the arrangements on the dash with the 4.8" integrated computer screen. The steering wheels very nice as usual, but the paddle are great to the feel:

Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

There is nothing to see here, move on!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

The 20" wheels really don't look out of place. This car was equipped with Dunlop tires to my surprise, but Porsche NA could not confirm the tire brand or model choice for US until later in summer.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
The 20" wheels really don't look out of place. This car was equipped with Dunlop tires to my surprise, but Porsche NA could not confirm the tire brand or model choice for US until later in summer.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Vice Advocate

what does the "race track" button do?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
what does the "race track" button do?
I missed that button frankly, I am not sure Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
I was hoping they'd say that, but they did not know. When they know the answer, they have been forthcoming, so I am pretty sure they did not know the answer.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Vice Advocate

is that a front axle life button I see ... I thought that was not yet available?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

I thought so too, but I think it may become available in Euro version first. This is the Geneva Show car, so it is Euro spec. What you see in this car may or may not be applicable to the US version, for example the seats are certainly not.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I thought so too, but I think it may become available in Euro version first. This is the Geneva Show car, so it is Euro spec. What you see in this car may or may not be applicable to the US version, for example the seats are certainly not.
not sure what the button above the axle life is either ... I cant make out the icon on it...

airbox and decklid looks pretty cool on the new car
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Vice Advocate

euro sports buckets with dev stitching look great!