Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Mancation RATL Tail of the Dragon VIR

Just came back from our mancation late Friday. 2000+ truck driving miles and 1000+RS driving miles. Exhausted but satisfied!

I picked up Erik and loaded his MKI Orange 997RS behind mine in my 44' gooseneck late on Thursday so that we were ready to go early Friday for the 10 hour drive to Road ATL.
Took his Cayenne TT home because it was more "convenient" then triving the truck and trailer home.

We left last Friday at around 9AM and made it through the gates at Road ATL at 7PM just in time to drop the trailer and unload the cars and headed to the hotel after some beers at the pub at the Chateau.

The Chin event ran like clock work as usual, starting with drivers meeting at 7:30AM.
Great day, beautiful weather and ran some good laps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKV1fQD80Yw.
Unfortunately a wreck and black flags, but still because I was instructing I was allowed to drive in all run groups and I did. Basically I was either in my students car, a 996GT3 or driving myself ;-)

My best time was 1:357 (Camera did not work) on Saturday, so I was hopeful to run a 1:34 on a cold Sunday morning, I ran much faster, but could not post a better time due to too much traffic.

We met a bunch of GT3's and they took us to a great reataurant in Atlanta Saturday night.
Mike, Randy, Rick, Lewis and Dave, who is impressively fast in his 996GT3! At one point I was all proud that i could catch him, turned out there were 2 in the car and Seth Thomas was driving instead of Dave

Monday morning we met up and got a tour at the new very exciting AMP facility and continued our Mountain run, with some of the crazy locals leading the way, avoiding a Police Road block and impressing and terrifying some of the locals :

Dave put together a very cool video: http://www.youtube.com/user/993DT?feature=mhum

Pretty full Monday; We ran 400 miles! Unbelievable fantastic to run with 10 or so GT3's through the mountains. The sound and speed was awesome, the views breath taking.
A bucket list item for sure.

Tuesday we loaded up our cars and headed for VIR, as did Rick and Randy and we made it there just when the gates opened at 5:30. We unloaded the cars and headed for the Tavern for beer and food and met some more GT3 drivers.

VIR was great, the Dave Murry events are not to be missed for the advanced drivers. Tons and tons of track time, all day open track. I emptied tank after tank chasing my previous best lap time but never got it because my worn out tires and brake pads but had a lot of fun trying!! In the end I corded my tires and ran out of pads to the point I ran of the track in T1.

A mancation to remember and thanks to all my friends for coming along, meeting and show us around, etc. etc.

Sold '07GT3 white

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-25-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Default Re: Mancation RATL Tail of the Dragon VIR

I was impressed and jealous with your MANACTION! Sounded like a busy and exhausting week.

It was great to meet you, Eric and Tom at VIR! Sorry I didn't see you guys at the tavern Tuesday night, I was in the bar for a FEW hours and didn't know you were there. I had to leave Wednesday night and was disappointed I didn't get a chance to hang out with you guys.

I had some break issues too. I had just changed from PCCB to steel and had no brakes the first two times I went out. I only turned 3 laps in the first 2 1/2 hours.......... after some aggressive bleeding and all was good. Got one good session before lunch but was able to burn some gas in the afternoon
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

We all have been following the adventure, felt almost real time until you guys hit VIR. This is an awesome adventure, wish I could be there with you all. Once I take care of few open items, I'll be much more available for this stuff and not miss again!

Love the vids Peter, very busy for sure, good driving through those roads.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:29 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
In the end I corded my tires and ran out of pads to the point I ran of the track in T1.
Btw, reading how your brakes felt at the time you went off at T1, I would highly doubt it was the pads. Granted corded tires never help , but I think your fluid went beyond normal temps.

Soft pedal is indication of overheated fluid, hard pedal with diminishing brake torque is overheated pads. Of course pads overheat first and pass than along to the caliper and fluid, but it takes a lot longer for the fluid to cool down to normal operating them than the pads. 50% pads is, corder tires, lots of track miles before hand are the best combination to go for 2:04s or 05s

I am glad you and car are alright, and thankfully it did not happen on T14

If you have data from that session or lap, send it to me, and I'll take a look at the traces and it might help the ice mode discussion, although it does not sound like it.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

What a great trip, need to top it next year

How bout that.....post #1
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

You guys really know how to live and live right! WOW....I admire ya!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzone View Post
How bout that.....post #1
A good one, Peter got you to post eventually
Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

One day I will take a trip like that myself. Maybe whenever we get a chance to go to the left coast and locals can show us there mountains and tracks out there
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Soft pedal is indication of overheated fluid, hard pedal with diminishing brake torque is overheated pads. Of course pads overheat first and pass than along to the caliper and fluid, but it takes a lot longer for the fluid to cool down to normal operating them than the pads. 50% pads is, corder tires, lots of track miles before hand are the best combination to go for 2:04s or 05s

I am glad you and car are alright, and thankfully it did not happen on T14

If you have data from that session or lap, send it to me, and I'll take a look at the traces and it might help the ice mode discussion, although it does not sound like it.
I have the data, but stuck in my car as the laptop is at the repair shop.
I actually think the R29 just fade once you just about set them on fire. I had enough brake pressure (SRF fluid) albeit a soft pedal but the car just would not slow as much.

Does not happen at T14 because you brake with the road going up, so you brake much harder and shorter..

+1.

We have to go left coast some time!
I' thinking about it, but I need a week or so to clear my head before booking the next events :-)

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
We have to go left coast some time!
I' thinking about it, but I need a week or so to clear my head before booking the next events :-)
No kidding, it would be an event! for sure if we headed up to Mooty and Pete and had some fun for a week or so But we have to carry a spare parts bin too
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered PCA Member

Nice JOB!!!!!! I wish I wasnt in Vegas this weekend!!!! Missed David Murry
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered PCA Member

was Jenk there?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Yes, Jenk was the crazy leader in the all blacked our RS who made us all do it.
Either that or the Devil AKA Erik in car #666. Great in "a church a mile" country ;-)

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakcar View Post
either that or the devil aka erik in car #666. Great in "a church a mile" country ;-)

Last edited by FTS; 04-25-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930man View Post
was Jenk there?
i couldnt miss taking my fellow floridians on a nice excursion through the mountains. the misses just wouldnt let me do the whole mancation thing with going to VIR as well